Sunday, 16 September 2012

#1 A New Brigade

They were all screaming... not everyone. Just 2. 2 out of the six of us. Not including me. I was shell shocked, nothing could move me. My ears were ringing and everything blurred. I was bleeding. I looked down and my stomach was dotted with blood, slowly becoming larger staining my white shirt. They were still screaming, I couldn't hear but they were crying, for their loved ones. I looked for the others, I tired to crawl and when I looked up their dead pale faces were looking at me, "Wake up!"
I jolted upwards. The room was light, and the white walls and floors stung my eyes. Breathing heavily I wiped the beads of sweat from my brow, and reminded myself it was a dream, it was over and they weren't mad. They couldn't be. None of it was my fault, it couldn't have been.
"That's the second time you slept through the alarm"
I looked up, Brian was staring at me as the others were getting dressed and ready for training.
"Another dream Blue?"
Link threw my uniform on my bed and grabbed me a towel to wipe the sweat from my face.
I jumped out of my bed and picked up my clothes and towel and ran in the washroom, "Gimme 2 seconds".
I slammed the door behind me and looked in the mirror. I was pale, but my blue eyes were brighter than they  were yesterday. That's where I got my nickname, my eyes. I always thought it was stupid because there were so many other like me. The point of a nickname was to make you sound original, describe a part of you that was original, like Link. His real name was Joshua, but we called him Link because he could hack into just about anything.
I rinsed my face and took off my night clothes. I slipped on my standard issue combat gear, and looked into the mirror again. My eyes were still bluer than normal. I walked out, "You ready?"
Just before any of them could answer and announcement came on, "Can Elite 940813 please make your way to commander Crane's office please, repeat Elite 940813 make your was to commander Crane's office immediately"
"What did you do this time Blue? Ate one extra portion of slop?"
I rolled my eyes and made my way out of our apartments door, "I wouldn't be surprised".
I walked down the rounded metal halls and then took a left. I said high to fellow soldiers and Elites then took a right. I came up to the shining door and could already feel the tension and power behind it. I placed my hand on the scanner and could feel the tracker identify my prints. The door opened and many wouldn't expect to see what they normally saw when they entered the office centre. The centre behind the mechanical metal doors looked like a 2010 law office. The theme was royal and grand; large varnished book cases full of books that probably have never been read, red upholstered chairs and heavy mahogany doors leading to different offices. The only things that stuck out was the 2165 computers that didn't even require keyboards or mice. I walked up to the heavy, wood receptionist desk and before I could even open my mouth the woman said, "Down the hall turn left and it's the first door on the  right". I nodded and followed her directions. I kept my head down. It was an unwritten rule amongst the soldiers, if you were summoned by the colonel you kept your head down until he told you otherwise. It was a sign of respect... or to the soldiers a sign of letting him know we work for him and are nothing without him.
I finally reached his office. I reached my fist out to the door and gently knocked.
"Enter"
I walked into the room my head down and stood at the door as it closed behind me.
The Colonel cleared his throat, "You can raise you're head soldier".
And so I did. When I looked around the office I noticed another person in it instead of me and the colonel. Why was this such a surprise? Well, I had a reputation in this army for not completely abiding the rules, but I was the top elite and soldier in our unit, so my punishments were never as severe as they should have been. So when I walked into this familiar office today I only expected to be warned about my actions or be put on dishes duty for another week. But, instead I stand face to face with this man. His eye's as blue as mine, his buzz cut hair brown like all the other Elite's. His face however seemed perfect, as well with his posture and body shape. There could see no flaw; his shoulders perfectly broad, his height just over average, his chiseled jaw and sculpted hands all just.... flawless.
"Fast? Did you hear me?"
I didn't realize I was daydreaming, I didn't hear a word the Colonel said, "Sorry, sir. Can you please repeat what you just said?"
He was clearly annoyed, "I said, this is Elite 931012; Tom Gibbs. He's been transferred from the Belfast army. He was the member of the Platinum brigade that went down last year. He was the only survivor and his colonel felt he would benefit better if he was transferred."
I looked over to Tom, his head was up and he was looking directly in my eyes. I knew when I saw him he was familiar. I remember him in the news. I remember him being pulled out of the rumble of the building the blood that stained his gear. He was almost unrecognizable.
"I want you to orientate him, as he is the newest member of your brigade."
I automatically looked to the Colonel. New member, another Elite? Each brigade got one Elite. Why did mine need two.
"Two Elites in one brigade sir?" I questioned.
"Yes, I have seen Gibbs tests and past performances and I feel you and him would benefit greatly from working together. Now that is all, please leave my office, and Gibbs your materials have already been dropped off in your quarters."
The Colonel turned around to dismiss us, I stood there for a minute looking at him, then slowly turned around only to find Tom standing at the door holding it open for me. Part of me wanted to be infuriated with him, but the other half knew how he felt. I walked through the door and said thanks. He was about to say something, but I said, "Don't", and continued to walk out of the office in silence. When we walked out of the office center we continued down cool metal hallways and took a left.
"Rule number one, never talk about authority or administration in that hallway, always weight till you are at leas 20 meters away from that door. Rule number 2 keep your head down...."
"I know that rule. I'm just as surprised as you are", he interrupted.
I starred at him. He felt the same. I wanted to be happy but, I couldn't shake the feeling of familiarity coming from him. I could see by the bags under his eyes, and the constant frown he still thought about them. His brigade.  I could tell by the nervous jitters in his hands he didn't want a new brigade. He didn't want to risk others lives. I knew he felt it was all his fault because he was the only one to survive. I knew the person he was will never come back. I could see he is still mourning that person, I could see he still remembered and would always remember. I knew he was missing them, his family, friends, and maybe even lovers. That's what your brigade becomes. Your family. Imagine loosing your family and being forced to move on because you are too valuable to retire. Imagine your body forcing you to move on and not feel guilt or sadness because that's the way you were designed.
We continued down the hall and eventually reached the apartments door. Before I did, I looked at him. He watched me carefully.
"I'm sorry", and I padded in and the doors opened with a regretful sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment