Friday, 27 July 2012

Chapter One

I wake up feeling slightly hung over. The others were still asleep. I've always been the early riser, even if I did have 3 bottles of beau and 2 shots of tequila. But I wasn't a light weight, and I wasn't an alcoholic either. Out of the four of us I was the trooper. I stood tall when I wanted to fall, and I was the back bone for all the arguments we ever had. Ashley; she was like me, wild, unpredictable, but stable. She knew when enough was enough, but she was a good drinking partner. I met Ashley in the 10th grade, she was in my music class. Sweet little Kim; she is a total perfectionist. She has never drank, she has never gotten a B on... anything, she has never swung her hips and I have never seen her talk to a boy. Yes she is the proverbial Asian virgin; never been kissed, touched, or looked at by a boy. And god forbid if she does check a boy out; her parents can smell aphrodisiacs in the air. Then there was Maggie, short for Margret. My life long friend. We became friends on principal; our mothers were friends and so we carry on the legacy. Maggie is the perfect princess; she has occasionally broken the rules, but all she has to do is flash that pretty smile and all accusations have magically disappeared. She has beautiful emerald eyes, fair skin and natural red hair. I even find that a turn on, red hair. She's beautiful though, and I hate her for it.
I got up and went to the washroom, brushed my teeth, and tied my hair up. When I walked out Maggie was up, and Kim was stretching. Ashely of course was snoring away. I turned around walked back into the bathroom and soaked a cloth in cold water. I ringed it out a little, I walked out of the bathroom and winked at Maggie; she smirked. I looked down at Ashley and dropped the cloth on her face.
Ashley shot up "Holy Shit!"
Kim leaned over the bed and smiled at Ashley, " Morning sleepy head!"
She grunted and said "I'm up"
I looked at the time and swore. I needed to be out of Mags house by 9, so I could get a drive to my theory exam at 12. It was 11. "I gotta go"
"What time do you need to be at home" asked Maggie.
"Two hours ago"
"What happened to your car again?" asked Kim.
"She took it out after midnight" snorted Ashely.
My car was otherwise known as a gremlin. It was a Volkswagen Rabbit, and it was my baby.
I said good bye to Maggie and started to walk home. Maggie's house was a 15 minute walk from my place. She lived in a nice detached home; I lived in a complex. We're complete opposites, yet best friends. I loved it.
I crossed over the main intersection, took my keys out of my bag and walked into my house. It was empty. Really, really empty.
"Mom?.... Dad?"
I ran upstairs dropped my stuff off in my room, and knocked on my parents door. There was no answer, so I opened their door and stuck my head into their room... no one in. This was weird. I looked in my dads office for a note, anything... nothing. I ran down the stairs and looked into the garage, no car. My heart was literally in my stomach. I ran over to the phone, sliding on the hardwood floors. I was typing in the voice mail code while checking my phone... no texts. The voice mail women was talking now.
"You have 7 messages"
1
" First message".... "Hello, Patience this is the city police department. We are sorry to inform you, but... your parents got into a serious accident, and umm... the have sadly passed on. If you could contact us by 12 that would be great, otherwise we will be sending a police cruiser to come pick you up"
Beeeep

No comments:

Post a Comment