Tuesday, 15 January 2013
Flying Capsule
Walking through the white halls, florescent lights shining down on my face. I don't belong here. My shoes covered in mud, guaranteed tracking dirt through the sparkling white halls I just walked through. I come up to the large, somewhat dramatic stainless steel sliding doors. Why is everything so bright? Is it to compensate for the robbery they are committing? Companies like this... like this. They are unhappy places really. I press the button with the bold triangle pointing up. It illuminate after my grimy index pushed the button. I stared at the doors, I could see my reflection. Jeans, somewhat dirty, I cleaned them 3 days ago, a white t-shirt some blood on the corner hems, and a blue and red button up; clearly wrinkled from sitting in my bottom drawer for a little more than two weeks. I was the definition of useless. What am I doing here? Why does my head hurt so much? Ding The dramatic, stainless steel doors open revealing another, florescent hospital-esque room. I step forward and turn around watching as the doors elegantly slide shut, closing with a slight satisfied sigh. This made me angry? Why is a door satisfied? Why does it insist on seeming more satisfied with its simple task of sliding open and closing all day... all it's life? I wish satisfaction was as simple as that for me. I looked for the number that would allow me to arrive at my destination.... 45. That's a long way up from ground. I once again find myself using my dirty fingers, feeling somewhat guilty for smudging the perfectly polished button to select my destination. My job? Hmmmm.... well, it's not as simple as sliding open and closed and sighing satisfyingly after each time. Nope, my job was hard, and required the use of every bit of energy and muscle I had in me to be successful. There was another mirror in the elevator... crap. My eye blackened all around and almost swollen shut. I reach my finger to touch it but wince even before I can fully place a finger on it. There is blood around my nose and stained on the right side of my head. Ding 10th Floor. The flying capsule continues to move up. Leaving me with a feeling of re-evaluation. Of what? Ha! My career. My body is getting tired of this: cheap shots, for little pay, broken ribs, for a title that pay around a hundred bucks. This doesn't seem worth it. I shuffle to the side, so I am leaning in the corner on the bars, my leg is sore and I am tired. Ding 22nd Floor. The shuttle stopped, and those evil satisfied door opened, revealing a short little man in a well tailored suite. He seemed to jump when he saw me. His attire seemed to match the aesthetic of the building, fake, sharp, and crisp. He annoyed me. He took his place on the opposite end of the elevator, awkwardly clearing his throat. Was he going to start a conversation? No, I wouldn't let it, my answer to him would be short and sweet.... Bog.Off. The man shifted from one foot to another as he slid across the floor of the flying capsule selecting his destination with a clean manicured finger (the 25th). Thank god, our time together would only be for three floors. I looked at the ticker and counted down, 3, 2, 1 Ding 25th Floor. He wiped his forehead almost as if this small travel took the life out of him and exited the capsule. I was once again alone with that damn satisfied sigh. The capsule continued to travel, and I felt more and more uneasy the higher I went. Heights, not my forte, and for the task I had to complete while on the very steep 45th floor did not seem achievable without a kick in the ass. I reached into my pocket choosing the inevitable, cliche pink little pill. I chewed it down wincing on the nasty bitter taste it gave. Ding 35th Floor. I was almost there... wait where was I going? I looked in the mirror once again and zoned out. Everything around me blurred together, creating a blur of objects leaving my euphoric. Ding 40th Floor. Oooo what a lovely sound. It was almost as if it was a symphony... symphony. I closed my eyes imagining a full orchestra in this tiny capsule with me serenading my mood, and oh my goodness was it ever beautiful. I smiled and began laughing to myself, this is nice. Ding 45th Floor. Ahh there is that lovely chime again. My eyes shut further, beautiful lights dancing around my vision. Ding going down. Hmmm.... wasn't I supposed to do something? Why was I going up there anyway.... 45th floor.... wait why is there blood on my shirt.... I ..... o forget it. I reached my grubby finger out and once again found the button that would allow me to reach my destination. Ground Floor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment